Celebrate your birthday, 1860s Style!
Mahaffie staff in 1860s clothing will lead your choice of three party activities for one hour. You will have one additional hour to open presents, enjoy your cake, and tour the farm.
Group One Activities
Choose one activity:
- Watch a blacksmith demonstration and listen to them hammer iron
- Fire a cannon
- Enjoy a wood-burning cookstove activity in the authentic stagecoach stop dining room
- Make a real brand
Group Two Activities
If you choose an activity from group one, you choose two from group two. If you decide to not select any of the group one activities, you choose three activities from group two.
- Play 1860s games
- Experience 1860s laundry
- Rope a 'steer'
- Groom an animal
- Grind corn
- Work in the garden
- Ride in the stagecoach (weather and ground conditions permitting) no charge to ride the stagecoach April-October, additional $75 for stagecoach rides November-March)
- Make a craft
- March like a soldier
Birthday Party FAQs
- Fees: $6/participant, minimum of $120. Parties greater than 30 total participants require an additional staff member at $30 each. A $50 non-refundable deposit is due to confirm your reservation. We accept VISA, MasterCard, cash and check. The rest of the payment is due the day of your party. Adults admitted free.
- Birthday parties available in the morning or afternoon for two hours.
- Available times: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Additional hour information:
- Chairs, tables, and tablecloths provided. You will need to bring your own items for your birthday party refreshments.
- April-October: your additional hour to open presents is in the Mahaffie picnic shelter. The picnic shelter is outdoors and the tables and benches are on a concrete pad.
- November-March, your additional hour will be inside the birthday party room.
- Stagecoach rides for adults are $2/ride from April-October.
- Party activities take place outdoors, rain our shine.
- Participants should dress for the weather and ground conditions, in clothes that can get soiled.
- Layered clothing helps. Temperatures can be unpredictable in Kansas, especially during the spring and fall.
- We are a working farm. Party attendees will encounter water, dirt, uneven grounds, and animal manure during their party activities. You should wear close-toed shoes, no flip flops or sandals. Tennis shoes preferred.
- On the day of your party, please have your party participants meet at the Heritage Center and the Mahaffie staff will greet your group.
- Request your child's birthday party today!