Students in grades K-2 enjoy discovering what life was like for children in the mid-1800s. Students participate in 1800s activities designed to help them make comparisons with their lives today.
Age/Grade Level Recommendation
This program is designed to meet curriculum standards for Kansas and Missouri schools including economics, social studies and history standards.
- Activity Packet - Students can enjoy this packet before or after their visit.
- Growing Up Mahaffie - Students can enjoy this book about the youngest Mahaffie children, Frank and Ella growing up on the Mahaffie Farm.
- Science Activity Packet - Students should enjoy this packet after their visit.
Growing Up Victorian is typically divided into four different educational activities with students rotating between the stations. Activities can include but are not limited to:
- A tour of the Mahaffie House or Laundry: 1860s style. At the time of your request, please choose either the Mahaffie House Tour or Laundry: 1860s but not both.
- Feeding the farm animals
- 1860s games: rolling hoops and Graces
- Stagecoach ride
"We loved coming to visit! Thank you for the hands-on learning." - 1st grade teacher.
Request your program today! Your program is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation letter from the Mahaffie staff. Call 913-971-5111 for more information.