The Mahaffie family moved to Kansas in 1857 during the days of Bleeding Kansas.
Explore life on the Kansas/Missouri border during the Border and Civil Wars that lead into the American Civil War.
Age/Grade Level Recommendation
This program is designed to meet curriculum standards for Kansas and Missouri schools including economics, social studies and history standards.
- Activity Packet - Students can enjoy this packet before or after their visit.
- Science Activity Packet - Students should enjoy this packet before they visit.
- Science Activity Packet - Students should enjoy this packet after they visit.
This program is typically split into four different educational activities with students rotating between the stations. Activities can include but are not limited to:
- Civil War artillery drilling
- Write letters "home" with a real ink pen
- Camp like a Civil War soldier
- Enjoy a stagecoach ride
"The artillery and stagecoach made the greatest impression on our students!" - 5th grade teacher.
Request your program today! Your program is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation letter from the Mahaffie staff. Call 913-971-5111 for more information.