Reports To: Daily Programs Coordinator
Status: This internship is unpaid
This position introduces the intern to a wide range of tasks associated with administration and programming in a medium-sized living history museum. The intern will spend part of the time interpreting in period clothing on site and some time assisting in research and administrative tasks. The intern may have the opportunity to attend staff meetings and assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide third person interpretation for guests on site
- Engage guests in hands-on experiences.
- Describe points of interest to visitors and respond to questions.
- Monitor visitors' activities to ensure compliance with establishment or tour regulations and safety practices. Assist visitors in safely entering and exiting the site stagecoaches for rides.
- Assist in the feeding of Mahaffie's livestock and maintenance of agricultural areas.
2, Assist in the research and development of training tools for other interpreters.
3. Assist in the care, inventory and organization of the site's collections.
4. Assist in preparation and implementation of special events and children's programs
5. Assist in the inventory, creation and acquisition of program supplies including period clothing.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
Education: Intern must possess a high school diploma or GED. College work in a related field a plus. Previous museum experience a plus.
Individual must possess ability to work in a team atmosphere, have strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be proficient and knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook.
Working Conditions: Must be able to spend a large amount of time outdoors and be able to walk, at times, one half mile without difficulty. Must feel comfortable wearing period clothing.
- Ability to read, comprehend and speak clearly in a variety of settings.
- This person must be able to work with a variety of people in a variety of settings.
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional and positive manner.
- Ability to walk or stand for an hour or more at a time.
- Ability to work at least 20 hours per week for at least 8 weeks.
Contact Katie Lange, Daily Programs Coordinator at email@example.com or call 913-971-5504.