Volunteers are valued members of the Mahaffie team! Learn new skills, meet new people, and help share stories of travel, daily life and farming in the 1860s.
- Families are welcome to participate.
- Volunteers must be age 16 or up to volunteer without a parent and/or guardian (with staff permission) on-site unless otherwise noted.
- School-related community service hours require a 30 hour minimum commitment.
- Court-required community service hours cannot be facilitated at Mahaffie.
- Be a historical interpreter! Share your cooking, gardening, music, blacksmithing or sewing skills while wearing 1860s clothing and interacting with museum guests of all ages.
- Youth Volunteer Program
Positions for Interns
Assist in the behind-the-scenes operation of a living history museum throughout the year. Groups, students seeking community service house and individuals may:
- Sewing 1860s clothing
- Knitting (Thursday nights)
- Conduct historical research or assist in museum collection care
- Mow, trim, paint or assist our carpenters
- Garden or assist with the cleaning of animal pens
- Prepare crafts, organize paperwork or perform data entry
- Greet guests, distribute surveys and serve food at special events
To Get Started